April 25, 2011
The success of every student is the focus of everything we do.
GRADUATING SENIORS: At some point this summer, the Tech Team will remove your email address from the "Student" list and you will no longer receive email communications meant for all students, including Monday Messages. If you would like to continue to receive Monday Messages, simply send to me (email@example.com) the email address you'd like to subscribe, and I will add you to my "Alumni" distribution list. Congratulations! ALSO: You may keep your Huntingdon email address for as long as you'd like to use it. If you DO NOT want to keep your HC email address, please notify the Tech Team and your address will be discontinued.
PARENTS OF GRADUATING SENIORS: You will remain on the Monday Messages "Parents" distribution list until you ask to be removed. I do not automatically remove parents of students who graduate or transfer, so be sure to request removal if you no longer wish to receive news from Huntingdon. (We like to keep you in the family as long as we can.)
STAFF AND FACULTY: The Huntingdon EXPERTS club and Healthy Hawks program invite faculty, staff and students (yes, bring a friend) to participate in Alabama's Employee Health and Fitness Day walk. Meet in front of The Hut on Friday, April 29, at noon or at 1pm (there are two group opportunities to walk) for a 1-mile group walk around the Huntingdon College campus in recognition of National Employee Health and Fitness Day.
SUMMER HOURS will begin Monday, May 9: 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily with 30-minute lunch breaks.
HOUGHTON LIBRARY is offering extended hours this week for your studying pleasure. The library will be open Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. The library will be closed Saturday, April 30, and Sunday, May 1.
SPRING 2011 FINAL EXAM SCHEDULE(Exams are conducted in the rooms in which the classes met, unless you have been notified otherwise.)
Check-out procedures for residents: Students who are not graduating at the end of this term are required to check-out of their rooms within 24 hours of their last final exam, or no later than 9:00 a.m. Saturday, April 30. Graduating seniors are required to check out of their rooms with their RAs by 9:00 a.m. Sunday, May 8. Before you check out of your room with your RA, you must:
- Print, complete, and sign the Summer Break Closing Checklist, ensuring that:
- Your refrigerator is unplugged, defrosted, dried, and the doors are left open
- Furniture is placed in its original position/location
- Trash is removed from the room and placed on the curb
- Room and common room (Blount) are cleaned, mopped, swept
- Bathroom is clean (Blount)
- Blinds are down and open
- Windows are locked
- Take bikes home for the summer (or they will be donated); there is no summer storage
- All of your belongings are removed from your room and common areas
- Pet fish are removed
Credit Elsewhere Forms due: Students who plan to take classes at other colleges this summer and transfer the credits back to Huntingdon must complete Credit Elsewhere Forms prior to taking the courses. The form must be signed by your adviser before submitting it to the Office of the Registrar.
Coming Up: (See the calendar)
- Alumni Association Pancake Breakfast, Monday, April 25 9:45 p.m., Russell Dining Hall; Students, come and eat all you care to eat!
- Alumni who are interested in serving from 8:00 to 11:00 p.m. to cook and serve the meal, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Book buy-back begins at the Huntingdon Bookstore Monday, April 25, and continues through the week, 9am–noon and 1–4pm daily.
- Book Rental returns are due by April 29 or you will be charged for the books.
- Return library books and materials by Friday, April 29, to avoid a $100 automatic fine per item after that date!
- Finals, April 26–29
- Farewell reception for Dr. Kyle Fedler, vice president for academic affairs and dean of faculty, hosted by Eric A. Kidwell and Dr. Frank Buckner, Wednesday, May 4, 2:30–3:30 p.m., Houghton Memorial Library Atrium
- Baccalaureate, Friday, May 6, 5:00 p.m., Ligon Chapel, Flowers Hall
- Commencement Exercises, Saturday, May 7, The Green; Traditional Day, 9:00 a.m.; ADCP, 6:00 p.m.; rain location is Roland Arena
- SUMMER HOURS begin Monday, May 9, 7:30a.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily with half-hour lunch breaks.
Mary Dawson '11 (English; Alabaster, Ala.) has been accepted into the Master of Arts program in English literature at Auburn University and has been awarded a teaching assistantship.
Nic Stanley '11 (English; Mobile, Ala.) has been admitted to the Doctor of Audiology program at the University of South Alabama.
The Huntingdon Business Club has elected officers for the 2011–12 academic year. They are:
- President: Josh Knuth '12 (Business Admin.; Birmingham, Ala.)
- Vice President: Rodes Bowers '14 (Business Admin.; Norcross, Ga.)
- Secretary: Amanda Houston '12 (Business Admin.; Fyffe, Ala.)
- Treasurer: Parker Roberts '12 (Business Admin.; Auburn, Ala.)
Huntingdon congratulates the 26 women who have been selected to represent the College as Huntingdon Hawks cheerleaders for the 2011–12 academic year. Look for a release with the names on the Cheer Roster early this week.
Congratulations to those who won Greek Awards last week—look for a release later this week.
2011–12 Huntingdon Ambassadors
2011 Honors and Awards Day Convocation award recipients
Alpha Beta Honorary members
Beta Beta Beta Honorary members
Sigma Sigma Sigma Honorary members
Theta Alpha Kappa Honorary Inductees
Who's Who nominees
Chelsey Jones, Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award winner
(Look for more announcements about honoraries this week!)
The men's and women's golf teams are competing in the first-ever GSAC Golf Championship Tournament at The Orchard Golf and Country Club in Clarkesville, Georgia, this week. Good luck! The men, ranked fifth nationally at this writing, are among five competing GSAC teams. The women are among three competing teams.
The men's tennis team captured the GSAC regular season championship last week and will enter the upcoming tournament as the #1 seed.
The Lady Hawks Softball Team will enter the GSAC tournament this week as the #2 seed.
Associate Vice President for
Communications and Marketing
Office: (334) 833-4515
Cell: (334) 324-6591